Sort by: Date added | Date Published | Most Viewed

Headlines Tagged with Maine 1,367 headlines found

1 View

[Maine] Landlord of house where 6 died in fire to serve 90-day term

The fire was determined to be accidental, blamed on improperly discarded smoking materials on a porch. It was the deadliest fire in Maine in four decades. Lawsuits stemming from the fire are still in the court system.
AP - Associated Press
added Dec 2, 2016 05:01
2 Views

A Maine woman leads the way in raising money for lung cancer and setting the record straight about its causes

Why does asking matter? It matters because people with lung cancer often get blamed for their disease. Others blame them and they blame themselves. All that blame leads to stigma. When you feel stigmatized because of your disease, you’re less apt to tal
Bangor (ME) Daily News
added Nov 8, 2016 20:00
2 Views

[Maine] STURROCK: Smokeless Tobacco: Research Putting Another Nail in That Coffin

Although it may ‘seem’ safer to use smokeless tobacco, Mother Nature has once more taught us that she cannot be fooled, and there is no such thing as a less dangerous consumption of this product. Unfortunately, children growing up in the US get mixed mes
WABI-TV CBS 5 (Bangor, ME)
added Nov 2, 2016 06:00
0 Views

[Maine] No butts on the beach

The ban, which was effective immediately on passage, prohibits smoking of any tobacco or plant product, and applies to any lighted or heated cigarette, cigar or pipe, or any natural or synthetic plant products intended for human consumption. The law als
Biddeford (ME) Journal Tribune
added Oct 22, 2016 15:44
1 View

[Maine] Landlord acquitted of manslaughter in fire that killed 6

The owner of a building where six people were killed in a fire was acquitted Friday of manslaughter but was convicted of a code violation... The fire was determined to be an accident, blamed on improperly discarded smoking materials on the porch.
The Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday (uk)
added Oct 21, 2016 21:29
1 View

State rests in manslaughter case against Maine landlord

Six tenants died in the Nov. 1, 2014, fire that was sparked by the improper disposal of smoking materials.
AP - Associated Press
added Oct 17, 2016 04:19
2 Views

[Maine] South Portland council riled by sidewalk smokers

approved a measure that banned the use of tobacco products within 25 feet of a school bus stop....Councilor Claude Morgan said he raised the issue of sidewalk smoking at the request of a constituent because residents of a South Portland Housing Authority
Portland (ME) Press-Herald
added Oct 5, 2016 20:17
0 Views

[Maine] VIDEO: City Councilors Say Sidewalk Smoking Is Becoming An Issue

City councilors say people gathering on sidewalks to smoke is becoming a growing problem in South Portland. The Portland Press Herald reports the issue was raised Monday as city councilors approved a measure that banned the use of tobacco within 25 feet
WABI-TV CBS 5 (Bangor, ME)
added Oct 5, 2016 20:16
0 Views

[Maine] WCGH receives Breathe Easy 'gold star' for tobacco efforts

an awards ceremony Sept. 15 at Maine Hospital Association. The event honored the 2016 Maine Tobacco-Free Hospital Network Gold Star Standards of Excellence Program award winners, including Waldo County General Hospital
Rockland (ME) Village Soup
added Oct 3, 2016 21:45
1 View

Trial starts for owner of Maine building where fire killed 6

Nisbet is on trial for six counts of manslaughter in Portland, where the fire happened Nov. 1, 2014, after a Halloween party. Officials say the fire started on a porch because of improperly disposed smoking materials.
The Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday (uk)
added Oct 3, 2016 16:03
Sign up for daily headlines All Headlines Featured Headlines U.S. Headlines International Headlines