Sort by: Date added | Date Published | Most Viewed

Headlines Tagged with Florida 7,961 headlines found


[Florida] The Biggest Fla. Court Decisions Of 2016: Midyear Report ($$)

In the span of one week in March, the Florida Supreme Court expanded punitive damages for Engle progeny plaintiffs and then dealt tobacco companies another blow when it ruled that a smoker did not need an official diagnosis before the cutoff date for mem
added Jul 26, 2016 17:43

[Florida] Not blowing smoke

“We’ve had the same goal since we started in 2009,” Stamler says, “and that’s to help people switch from smoking cigarettes.”...Nicopure has taken an industry-focused leadership role in response to the regulations. A big step is a lawsuit the company fil
Business Observer (Sarasota, FL)
added Jul 23, 2016 16:46

[Florida] Ybor City cigar company ratchets up new blends ahead of tighter rules

Eric Newman, president of J.C. Newman Cigar Co., is rushing 20 new cigars to market to better position them for a new review process that will be required by the Food and Drug Administration starting Aug. 8.
Tampa Bay (FL) Times
added Jul 22, 2016 18:26

[Florida] New rules could leave cigar industry in ashes

U.S. Rep. Kathy Castor of Tampa, as liberal a Democrat as they come, has been a champion for Newman in Congress. Her efforts to exempt cigars from these FDA rules hasn't gone anywhere, though, and nothing is likely to happen on that front until after th
Tampa Bay (FL) Times
added Jul 22, 2016 18:24

[Florida] HORTON: Think e-cigs are safe for kids? You’ll think twice after reading this

Parents can guard against these dangers. Talk to children as young as 6, before they are influenced by their peers, Duggan said. Parents should also not indulge in e-cigarette use, Schaechter said. “We know children of smokers are more likely to smoke,
Miami (FL) Herald
added Jul 22, 2016 17:11

FDA rules could snuff out Central Florida cigar makers

"It's government over-reach," said Jeff Borysiewicz, founder of Corona Cigar Co., which carved a niche as an online cigar distributor based in Ocoee before expanding sales with cigar bars in Central Florida. "Nobody's chain-smoking two boxes of cigars a
Orlando (FL) Sentinel
added Jul 22, 2016 17:05

[Florida] 2016 national summit on youth activism concludes

truth Initiative recently held its second annual National Summit on Youth Activism, a summer tobacco-control training program for youth who are recruited to attend from community-serving organizations around the country. Seventy high school students ran
Truth Initiative (American Legacy Foundation)
added Jul 21, 2016 22:43

[Florida] Natural American Spirit Cigarette Smokers Sue, Alleging False Advertising ($$)

Two smokers of Natural American Spirit cigarettes on June 21 filed a putative class action in federal court against the manufacturers, alleging that they falsely advertise, label and market the cigarettes as “Natural,” “Additive Free,” “100 Percent Additi
Lexis Nexis
added Jul 21, 2016 15:22

[Florida] Split Decision: Philip Morris Hit for $1.5M, but RJR Cleared in Trial Over Fatal Cancer

A Florida jury Tuesday found nicotine addiction and Philip Morris cigarettes caused a 40-year smoker's fatal cancer and awarded her widower $1.5 million in compensatory damages. But, it rejected any punitive payout and cleared R.J. Reynolds of liability.
Courtroom View Network (CVN)
added Jul 21, 2016 13:43

[Florida] Smoker's Widower Awarded $1.5M In Engle Trial ($$)

The jury in Fort Lauderdale reached the decision after about a day of deliberations. Philip Morris was 25 percent responsible for Virginia Varner's death, and Varner herself bears the other 75 percent of the blame, jurors found.
added Jul 20, 2016 10:04
Sign up for daily headlines All Headlines Featured Headlines U.S. Headlines International Headlines